Developing Literacy - Nonfiction is a series of seven photocopiable activity books for literacy development. Each book provides a range of nonfiction reading and writing activities, and supports the teaching of reading and writing skills at text, sentence and word levels.
The reading activities develop the children's study and research skills (reading for a purpose, understanding and interpreting, and making use of what they have read) and provide models on which they can base their own writing.
The writing activities concentrate on the purpose of a text, the audience for whom it is written and the context in which it is to be read, and encourage the children to be aware of these considerations when they write.
The activities in Developing Literacy: Nonfiction Year 1 encourage the children to:
- Recognise printed and handwritten text in different settings, understand its purpose and use cues which help them to read and understand text
- Learn about the conventions of text and the vocabulary used in talking about books
- Understand how letters and words make up text and how text differs from pictures
- Locate and use significant parts of a text
- Use writing for different purposes
- Plan their writing
- Model their writing on written texts.